1.12.09

Hamisi Bakari Mwachizungu

Okay, brace yourself for a long story. When I was about twelve, two of my aunts who are nurses went to Kenya to offer medical assistance there for a few weeks. They took some boxes of toothbrushes and stuff from our beehives class. We included letters with the toothbrushes. Years later (about three years ago). I got a letter from the boy who got mine. I wrote him back, and he wrote me again.

Hamisi is about my age (23), and the oldest in his family of eight children. His dad died when he was a teenager, and he's been the primary provider for his family since. He lives just outside of Mombasa. He sent this picture a few letters ago, well actually it was just a negative that I developed.
I received a letter from him a few days ago, and he got accepted and started classes at the University of Nairobi through their Distance Learning program. He is looking for a sponsor to help him out with his fees that are due soon. He needs 52,000 KSH which amounts to about $700. He sent all the school paperwork, pamphlets, account numbers, etc.

What do I do? I don't even know if I can believe his story, and it's not like we have $700 just lying around. So I've just been trying to put it out of my mind, but then I see the letter and paperwork sitting on the table and I feel so guilty! I find myself thinking, "We don't have tons of money. We can't help him." but then I remember all the things we have like hot water and carpet, and I feel guilty again. Then I worry that if I help him I'll just create a monster, and he'll want money again and again. I just don't know. I'm typically kind of a scrooge, but this has really been haunting me, and I feel like I should do something.

I wrote an email to the school just so I can check his information out, and hopefully I will hear back from them soon. He also included his email address this time, but I can't bring myself to email him until I know what I'm going to do.

Advice please! What would you do in this situation?

6 comments:

Swen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swen said...

I once won $1,000,000 in an African lottery. I sent the $1,500 for the paperwork fee, and never got the $1MM. I am sure it will get here, soon…



I think asking the school for confirmation is a good idea. However, I would offer to send him information about the Perpetual Education Fund, or some other similar government program, and explain it is a low-interest loan to help with schooling: then wait and see how he responds. See if he just wants a handout, or if he is willing to do a loan and work for it.



I can tell you that most people that live outside of the US think we all have a 90210 lifestyle, and that money is not an issue for any of us. Be careful. $700 is a lot bigger of a deal for you than he thinks it is.

Kari said...

I would agree. Donate your money to Perpetual Education Fund or Fast offerings. My family has been hurt many time with things like this. Just be careful.

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ammunk said...

Krick,

I remember you telling me about this when I was still in Rexburg. It's such a hard situation, and to be honest I still don't have an good answer. I think what has been suggested is smart and what you have done so far in requesting information is smart.

It's so hard to have to judge the situation. Recently we were almost victims to an oversea scam. Thankfuly we figured it out before it was too late, but you never know. Maybe he really needs help with school.

I guess my thoughts are that maybe you have access to better research than he does. Maybe you can find some sort of scholarship program , or NGO, or something that helps people in his situation. You could forward him the information explaining that although you would love to help you have a young family and this is the best you can do.

My prayers are with you and him! Good luck! I am sure you will make the right decision.

CassParelli said...

I am sorry for your sticky situation. Frustrating. I very much agree with Swen. I also know of heart-breaking stories of scams that have created huge family problems. You really don't want to take the risk of throwing away $700 and/or creating "a so-called monster." $700 is really a lot. Teach him about other programs, see if you can donate SOME money to a scholarship program in his name. I am sure he is aware of the current scam problem and would be understanding. Good luck!